Before you use any of your creative internet marketing techniques to make your blog pretty and serve the purpose of it, you might be interested in some powerful solutions to make your wordpress self-hosted blog more user friendly, more functional and search engine optimized. I’m talking about wordpress plugins, some of them are really essential for your blog because available standard wordpress settings are simply not sufficient for the best results of what you want to achieve.
Although there are thousands of plugins available in Internet...
I don’t recommend installing many of them. Choose instead those, which you will use and find necessary. This is because having too many plugins makes the blog work slower and also some plugins create conflicts, which can cause malfunctioning of your blog.
Here are TOP 10 absolutely necessary basic wordpress plugins
This is the list of plugins which I use. They are all free and very useful. You can download these plugins either from your blog’s dashboard or through my site.
- Platinum SEO PACK – this plugin is an absolute must for optimizing your blog. Complete SEO solution enabling you extra optimizing the title, description and keywords of your blog. You can read more and get it here.
- WP Security Scan – this plugin performs security scan of your blog in search for errors and threats and offers you a solution how to solve a problem. You can read more and get it here.
- WP Database Backup – this plugin provides you with an on-demand or scheduled by you backup of your WordPress database. Whether you are a beginner or advanced internet user I’m sure you know about the threats related to using the internet. Protect yourself from hackers and losing your valuable blog content! You can read more and get it here.
- Dean’s FCKEditor for WordPress – great plugin – an open source WYSIWYG text editor , which replaces the default WordPress editor. It has got many functions, not available in the default wordpress editor. You can read more and get it here.
- Sexy Bookmarks – this plugin adds a (X)HTML compliant list of absolutely awesome social bookmarking icons to each of your posts. You can watch this plugin at work at the bottom of this post. You can read more and get it here.
- Theme Tester – this plugin allows a blog administrator to test a new theme while showing the old theme to regular visitors. Great opportunity to test various themes without worrying about saving the default layout of your blog to easily come back to your primary settings. You can read more and get it here.
- Robots Meta – this plugin makes it possible (and very easy) to prevent indexing of your search result pages, while still allowing the search engines to follow the links on them, by adding noindex, follow robots meta tags, to disallow indexing of subpages to your homepage, category pages, author pages and tag pages, to prevent duplicate content, to prevent indexing of your login, register and admin pages by adding noindex robots meta tags and some more extra features. You can read more and get it here.
- Google XML Sitemaps – this plugin will generate a special XML sitemap which will help search engines like Google, Yahoo, Bing and Ask.com to better index your blog. You can read more and get it here.
- RSS Footer – allows you to add a line of content to the end of your RSS feed articles. Really cool stuff! You can read more and get it here.
- Psychic Search – it’s a very cunning plugin that secretly reveals what your readers most want to read. You can read more and get it here. Simply scroll down to the bottom of the site to download it for free.
For wordpress plugins’ lovers I recommend WordPress Plugin Database, where you can find lots of them nicely categorized and providing great solutions for your blog :).